Easy Living at Fitzroy Island Resort
Days spent snorkelling and paddle boarding off the beach, afternoons relaxing with a cocktail by the pool and evenings soaking up amazing sunsets are all part of the appeal of staying at Fitzroy Island Resort.
As the ferry pulls up at the jetty at Fitzroy Island, the first image that greets you is the beautiful resort spread out along the beachfront, with the turquoise ocean laid out in front and green forested hills behind.
It is a beautiful island with a relaxed tropical vibe, which you can feel as soon as you step onto the jetty.
As a resort guest you can wake up to views of the ocean and have your morning coffee on your very own balcony overlooking the turquoise waters of Welcome Bay. It’s a great way to start the day and a great place to relax and unwind.
We have stayed at Fitzroy Island a few times and have always found the accommodation fantastic.
Last time we stayed on the island we slept in a beachfront cabin and I have to admit, it was probably one of my favourite room options on the island.
These cabins are only metres from the beach so the views are incredible. They have two bedrooms, a bathroom, plasma television, tea and coffee facilities and a small deck out the front.
It’s a great choice if you are staying on Fitzroy Island as a family because the kids can wander back and forth to the beach while you watch them from your balcony only metres away.
- Studio Rooms are the smallest rooms, which come in either twin or double bed options, have black marble-tiled ensuites and tea and coffee facilities.
- Ocean Suites are a little more luxurious with a kitchenette, lounge, dining room, ensuite and Queen sized bed. These suites also have the option of sleeping up to two more guests and come with a balcony.
- Fully Self-Contained Ocean Suites are bigger with a proper kitchen rather than kitchenette. These are great for families spending a few days on the island. We have stayed in one of these suites before and they really are spacious and luxurious and have generous balconies with spectacular views.
- Two Bedroom Apartments are a good option for large families or groups as they include an Ocean Suite AND a Studio Room with an adjoining shared entrance. While the rooms aren’t internally connected, they do share the same entrance.
other resort facilities
There is a cinema showing three movies a day, a video games room, a general store and two great places to eat.
Foxy’s Bar is the cheaper and more casual option for lunch or dinner with live entertainment on a weekend. The resort’s fine dining restaurant is called Zephyr’s and offers breakfast and dinner.
Both Foxy’s and Zephyr’s are on the beachfront so sunrises and sunsets are an added bonus.
There are so many things to do on Fitzroy Island that you really do need to stay overnight to really experience everything the island has to offer.
There is a range of water activities available including snorkelling, diving, paddle boarding, aqua jetting, glass bottom boat tours, kayaking, reef tours and fish feeding.
There are also rainforest walks and trails to the lighthouse and summit as well as the Turtle Rehabilitation Centre to visit. Or if you like the idea of doing nothing at all, then pack a book and make a beeline for one of the deck chairs by the pool.
travel nq fast facts:
- Fitzroy Island is a 50-minute ferry ride from Cairns
- Click here to book
- Camping is also available. There are 28 campsites with BBQ’s and amenities