Bad Fishy: Jet Boating in Cairns
If you’ve never been jet boating before but love the thrill of adrenaline, then Bad Fishy is a must-do experience when you next visit Cairns.
Imagine speeding down Trinity Inlet to the sounds of ACDC’s ‘Thunder’ or Pharrell Williams’s song ‘Happy’ with your hair blowing in the wind, before the jet boat spins full circle and you get a light drenching as the water sprays up from the side of the boat.
This is a great fun and guaranteed to leave you feeling pumped!
bad fishy jet boat experience
Their trips provide an hour-long thrill-seeking jet boat ride along the spectacular Trinity Inlet behind Cairns and also out into the bay.
Apart from being able to enjoy the thrill of speeding along in a jet boat, this trip also enables you to see spectacular scenery as you whizz by the Cairns skyline, surrounding mountains and the mangrove waterways of Trinity Inlet.
If you’re lucky, you might even spot a saltwater crocodile sunning itself on the mangrove banks.
And Patrick gives plenty of warning before he spins the boat.
Once you see his arm in the air, he moves it in a circular motion to show you which direction he will be spinning the boat and counts down from three, two, one, with everyone joining in the countdown.
The only thing you need to do is sit back and enjoy the ride.
who will enjoy bad fishy?
This is definitely an all-ages experience that everyone will thoroughly enjoy.
It is obviously popular with tourists of all nationalities and is a good activity to do if you’ve got a bit of time before catching a flight.
But this trip is also great for corporate team building groups, kid’s birthday parties, school groups, bucks nights and hen’s nights.
It’s definitely just as much fun for locals as it is for tourists. And, you get to see a beautiful part of Cairns that many people miss out on.
who’s behind bad fishy?
Patrick and Nikki have been in the jet boat business for many years.
They started Bad Fishy in Cairns in 2014 after nearly 10 years running jet boat businesses in Circular Quay in Sydney and also in Darwin, Gold Coast and Vanuatu.
They moved to Cairns in 2012 for a better work/life balance and feel very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world.
Patrick also teaches at the Marine College in Cairns and is an agent for Australian Super Yachts, while Nikki also consults to the Sydney-based jet boat company helping them out when they need it.
travel nq fast facts:
- You can’t take your own camera on board but Bad Fishy take some great action pics with a Go Pro (fitted with special flotation devices) during the ride and you can buy photos afterwards.
- Hats will blow away on the ride but sunglasses are okay.
- Expect to get a bit wet. You probably won’t get drenched but you will more than likely experience some spray when the boat spins on the water. Bad Fishy does provide some towels on the boat if you get wet.
- The Bad Fishy experience lasts about an hour in Trinity Inlet with a few spins out at sea overlooking the Cairns’ skyline.
- All your valuables will be locked up securely on the jetty before you leave